Monday 24 August 2015

Poppy Mirror


It's my turn today over at the Blog for the That's Crafty Shop, That's Blogging Crafty.  I've gone for a piece of home decor with a painted mirror.



Mirror
Gesso
Donna Downey Stencil
DecoArt Modelling Paste
Palette Knife
DecoArt Media Acrylic Paints – Cobalt Teal, Cobalt Turquoise, Diarylide Yellow, Quinacridone Magenta,  Viridian Green Hue
Pitt Big Brush Pens
Fude Pen

I started with one of those square mirrors from a well known Swedish interiors store, it measures about 10 x 10 inches, but the wide border means there is lots of space for painting. (pic 1)
I added a layer of gesso then DecoArt Media Acrylic Paints in Cobalt Teal, Cobalt Turquoise, and Diarylide Yellow mixing them with gesso as I went. 

When dry mixed I DecoArt Modelling Paste with Quinacridone Magenta  and spread the coloured paste the Poppy part of the stencil over my mirror, moving the stencil round to get my poppies where I wanted them.  Next I mixed DecoArt Modelling Paste with Viridian Green Hue and added the stalks to the poppies.

When the poppies were dry itmay well, if you are a messy crafter like me, look a mess and need tidying up also at this stage  l went over them with Quinacridne Red and Pyrole Red Yellow to get multiple shades in the poppy leaves.

Next I  used my Pitt Big Brush Pens to define the flowers and stems and add grey shading under the petals.  A final touch was to outline my poppies with the Fude Pen to make them pop.

2 comments:

  1. Love this Moira it's gorgeous xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really lovely! Moira Love how ya poppys really pop against ya background x

    ReplyDelete